[McIDAS #XTD-131268]: Best platform to run LDM/Mcidas/Gempak

Hi Samuel,

re:
> O.K.  Well we're looking for mainly a server, to replace our current LDM/ADDE
> linux server shu.cup.edu.

OK.  In this case, if the machine is really a server and not a server and a
workstation (i.e., if you can run the box without running XWindows), you can
get a lot more performance from the machine for less money.  The reason I say
this is that:

- XWindows is memory hungry
- invariably when X is running, someone is logged in and running something
  like FireFox (or other web browser) which are also memory intensive

If the machine is really a server that will be running the LDM to ingest data
and decoders to convert those data to formats usable by things like GEMPAK
and McIDAS, then you can do well with a machine with only 2 GB of RAM.
Of course, the more RAM the better.

Since the machine you are looking to spec is one that would be serving data
to other machines (via ADDE and potentially by NFS (GEMPAK)), then what kind
of and how much disk you buy is important.  I would recommend SATA disks
(be careful about full support for SATA-2) that would provide at least 500 GB
of storage.  This may (or may not) seem like a lot of disk space, but it
is amazing how quickly space can be consumed after people start saving case
studies.

> Currently Shu is a Dell Poweredge 2650 with 1.5G of ram, so we're looking to
> upgrade.  64 bit definitely seems the way to go these days.

We have been using Dell 2850s and will be purchasing the next generation of
this class machine in the not too distant future.

We have also purchased Sun SunFire x4200 boxes and like them a lot.

If you are adventurous, you could put together a box like ones we have been
playing with:

SuperMicro motherboard that supports up to 32 GB of RAM
Dual quad-core 64-bit Xeon processors
special power supply for the SuperMicro motherboard
SATA HDs
8 GB RAM
GeForce 7600 graphics (512 MB RAM)

This kind of machine might be total overkill for what you are looking for/have
the budget for.  The inclusion of a high-end graphics card is definitely
overboard if the machine will not running Xwindows/running the IDV.

Ticket ID: XTD-131268
Department: Support Platforms