[Platforms #EWA-768838]: Unidata supported platforms

Hi Samuel,

re:
> Just to let you know, if you guys ever decide to list Red Hat Enterprise
> GNU/Linux
> as one of your supported platforms, I would suggest telling users to get AT
> LEAST
> the "RHEL Desktop with Workstation" support option, and preferably "Server".
> If
> you only get "RHEL Desktop", the command "yum install g++" becomes
> problematic, due
> to Red Hat's package subscription channels.

One the things required for building Unidata applications is a full development
environment.
We have not gone to the lengths to try to define exactly what this means
because it
varies from operating system to operating system (i.e., some come with needed
routines
automatically installed, and some do not).

> Here at CUP we have been able to install McIDAS on RHEL 5(Fedora Core 6)
> machines, and
> it seems to work pretty well.

Very good.

> It also seems to work on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), which is GNUer.

I have built McIDAS-X v2007x on:

Fedora Core 5/6/7/8
OpenSuse 10.1,2
Ubuntu 7.10
FreeBSD 6.3
RedHat Enterprise 3,4
Sun Solaris 10 (SPARC and x86)
AIX 5.1
etc.

Some of these were by way of a virtual machine running in VMware Player under
Windows XP
on my IBM T30 (old and slow) laptop :-).

Ticket ID: EWA-768838
Department: Support Platforms