[Platforms #ZLK-587176]: linux os

Hi Frank,

Sorry I was unable to respond yesterday when I first saw your note...

re:
> Been making slow progress with our reconfiguration, but started with
> installing CentOS on one of our pcs.

Sounds good!

> I have a relatively inexperienced
> student working on this, so he is learning as he goes.

We believe that this will be a valuable experience for your student going
forward.  Our experience is that students who graduate with more than a
cursory understanding of computers (and operating systems, and programming,
etc.) are much more valuable-in today's workplaces.

> But we seem to
> have hit a snag installing LDM.  CentOS, or at least the version we
> have, which is the latest stable version, doesn't seem to have come with
> a c compiler.  I didn't believe it when the student told me about this
> -- but I was unable to find gcc or cc in any of the usual places.
> Without it, we can't build the LDM.

Typically when installing Linux, one is given the option of installing a
full development environment.

Question:

- how was CentOS installed?  What I mean is:

  - was it installed from a set of CDs
  - was it installed from a DVD
  - was it installed over the net

Give the early nature of the effort there, I would suggest that
the easiest/quickest course of action right now would be to drop back
and do the installation over again, but this time choose to install all
development packages.  This may seem like a lot more work, but it will
save a lot of time and effort in the long run.

> Installing gcc doesn't appear to be
> straightforward, although I think I have done it before,

It is, but the fact that gcc wasn't installed alerts me to the liklihood
that a number of other packages that will be needed later are also not
installed.  It would be _MUCH_ easier at this point to reinstall CentOS
from source, but this time choose to install all development packages.

> but I wondered if we can use one of the pre-compiled binaries?

We do not make the LDM available in pre-compiled binary form.  The main
reason for this is that the LDM is by nature a highly optimized package
that needs to be built in the environment in which it will be run.

> I looked at the list,
> and the Linux versions are all for 64 bit machines -- our pc is not 64
> bit.  So can we use any of these?

I am not sure what list you are looking at.  Again, the LDM is not made
available in any way other than as source code that needs to be built on
the machine on which it will be run.

Just so you know, we are happy to help you to get your machine setup after
the OS is loaded, security setup, and connected so that it is accessible over
the Internet.  Please let us know if you would like us to help.

> thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: ZLK-587176
Department: Support Platforms