[Platforms #FDA-403251]: CentOS vs SL

Hi Brendon,

re:
> Didn't know there was a queue for platforms! ;)

Did I say that wrong?  Pete P. of UW/AOS found that he have/use a
large LDM queue under CentOS but not under Scientific Linux even
though there was no difference in the underlying hardware.  Weird
to be sure!

re: What made you consider moving to Scientific Linux in the first place?

> I've heard of some other folks who use Unidata apps who made the switch.
> My research indicates that at one point SL was providing updates
> quicker than CentOS, but the same research says it is no longer the case.

OK, that would be compelling if one were on the "I must have the latest
updates ASAP" bandwagon.  Some sites that had been operating in this mode
when using Fedora simply got worn out by the constant updating and decided
to switch to a different distro.  A great number chose CentOS with no
input/guidance (mis-guidance?) from us.

One more reason to consider staying with CentOS:  AWIPS-II runs under
RedHat Enterprise, and CentOS is the free distribution of RedHat Enterprise.
Whether this means that AWIPS-II would not run under Scientific Linux is
anyone's guess at this point.  We certainly haven't tried it, so we can
not say if there would be any issues encountered or not.

re:
> Thanks for the input!

No worries.

By the way, it is finally warm and relatively dry here in Colorado.  We
got something like 4' of snow at my house in April, so the change is
welcome! :-)

Ticket ID: FDA-403251
Department: Support Platforms