Re: NSDL metadata for THREDDS datasets

Ted,

Thanks for your response. It made it clear that my initial message was indeed not clear on an important point.

That is, I did not mean to imply that the DC-Ed metadata was the only metadata to be generated. We are also working on the metadata needed in the THREDDS environment for connecting THREDDS applications to THREDDS servers. However, since we are part of the NSDL and their discovery metadata seems to be a managable set we could use in the initial experiments with the automated tools, my idea was to use that as a starting point for the discovery side of the metadata issue. It would enable us to work with DLESE to see whether the NSDL spec fits with the discovery systems they are building which are currently oriented more toward educational modules.

I hope that clarifies the point that my idea for the initial version of the tools would generate metadata that includes THREDDS usage metadata AND NSDL discovery metadata.

But I'd be pleased to learn about any existing SOFTWARE that we could use that would help us get started quickly generating metadata for the more detailed specifications for the kinds of data populating our servers.

-- Ben