Re: latest Catalog XML

Quoting John Caron <address@hidden>:

> Recent changes:
>
> 1) Collections as datasets. Ethan and I think the cleanest way to allow
> "collections as datasets" is to allow nested datasets. Collections remain
> just groups of datasets. A Collection as a dataset is done as a dataset
> with
> nested datasets. Nested dataset elements (Joe's meaning #2) should imply
> (in
> some way we need to clarify better) nested datasets (Joe's meaning #1 and
> #3).

This does not quite work for me, unless you allow a catalog to contain exactly
one collection or exactly one dataset.   Right now the only thredds thing that
can be pointed to is a catalog, with the added provision that a catalog with one
collection is effectively that collection -- I would like to point to datasets
with thredds, which requires either that a catalog can point to a dataset or a
collection, or that you extend collection to be isomorphic to dataset.   The
catalog modification would be preferable.

> 6) access element can specify an absolute URL with a serverType -or- a
> reletive URL with a serverID.

If you are going to have a base element in service, it is only fair that you
have a suffix element, too.  Please leave the suffix element in.