    *From:* Mark A Ohrenschall [mailto:address@hidden]
    *Sent:* Monday, March 10, 2003 6:33 PM
    *To:* address@hidden
    *Cc:* Ken Tanaka
    *Subject:* THREDDS Catalog Generator Error

    Hello,

    I'm trying to run a simple test of the THREDDS catalog generator,
    and this is what's happening:

[mao@panther THREDDS]$ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java -classpath
cataloggen-0.6.jar:thredds.jar:jdom-b8.jar:dods.1.1.1.jar
thredds.cataloggen.CatalogGen mytest.xml
Catalog NOT read successfully (mytest.xml):
Message=----Catalog Validation version 0.6.02
** InvCatalogFactory.readXML (1) MalformedURLException on URL <mytest.xml> no
protocol: mytest.xml

       at
thredds.cataloggen.CatalogGen.findCatGenConfigMdata(CatalogGen.java:117)
       at thredds.cataloggen.CatalogGen.<init>(CatalogGen.java:54)
       at thredds.cataloggen.CatalogGen.main(CatalogGen.java:140)
[mao@panther THREDDS]$ cat mytest.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- edited with XML Spy v4.3 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Mark Ohrenschall (US
Dept of Commerce/NOAA/NESDIS) -->
<!DOCTYPE catalog SYSTEM
"http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/xml/CatalogGenConfig.0.5.dtd";>
<catalog name="my test" version="0.6">
 <dataset name="my collection" dataType="Grid">
   <metadata metadataType="CatalogGenConfig">
     <catalogGenConfig type="Catalog">
       <datasetSource name="ds source" type="Local" structure="DirTree"
accessPoint="/data/www/html/dods/">
         <resultService name="myserver" serviceType="DODS"
base="http://panther.ngdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods/"; accessPointHeader="/data/www/html/"/>
         <datasetNamer name="My Test" type="RegExp" addLevel="false"
matchPattern="([a-z]+)\.nc$" substitutePattern="My Test $1"/>
       </datasetSource>
     </catalogGenConfig>
   </metadata>
 </dataset>
</catalog>
[mao@panther THREDDS]$

    Any idea why I'm getting the MalformedURLException?

    Thanks,

    Mark

i think you can use file:///path

best to use absolute path if you can