20040930:Forwarded mail....

From: Daniel Holloway <address@hidden>

Daniel is not a member of the list, so I am forwarding for him:

Benno Blumenthal wrote:

> If I understood xml better, I guess I would know the answer to this
> question, but here goes.
>
> Suppose I had a variable list, e.g. (taken from the documentation page)
>
> <variables
> xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0"; >
>  <variable name="wv" vocabulary_name="Wind Speed" units="m/s"/>
>  <variable name="wdir" vocabulary_name="Wind Direction" units=
> "degrees"/>
>  <variable name="o3c" vocabulary_name="Ozone Concentration" units="g/g"/>
> </variables>
>

> Suppose I want to say that the units are udunits compliant.  Can I write
>
> <variables
> xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0"; >
> <variable name="wv" vocabulary_name="Wind Speed">
>  <variable name="wdir" vocabulary_name="Wind Direction">
>  <variable name="o3c" vocabulary_name="Ozone Concentration">
> </variables>
>
> I certainly would like to be able to do so.

    Currently 'units' are an attribute of <variable> not a separate
element.  But doesn't
your example imply that you want to identify the 'authority', or
'controlled vocabulary'
that both the 'units' as well as variable 'name' are relative to?   The
schema allows for
the catalog to identify the source of the controlled vocabulary in use,
I assume that
could be extended to include the authority for the 'units' that are used
as attributes of
a <variable> element.   That might negate the necessity of adding
specific <units>
elements to the schema.   Just a thought.   I too am not an expert on
XML Schemas.

     Dan

--
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <

------- End of Forwarded Message