RE: [GMLJP2] NetCDF <--> GML/JPEG2000 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:05:24 -0700
From: Sean Forde <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: RE: [GMLJP2] NetCDF <--> GML/JPEG2000

John,

Well, its been a week and there have been no takers on these questions, so I
will weigh in with my answers and ask you a few questions. My comments are
below. First a question.

[SPF:] What sorts of relationships do you need to define between various
coverages? How do you express them in GML? The current state of the
GML/JPEG2000 spec mandates that the GML instance has the following structure:

        <FeatureCollection>
                <FeatureCollection>
                        <RectifiedGridCoverage>
                                <!-- this coverage is for a particular JP2
codestream -->
                        </RectifiedGridCoverage>
                        <!--    other features and metadata associated
                                with that coverage can go here -->
                </FeatureCollection>
                <FeatureCollection>
                        <RectifiedGridCoverage>
                                <!-- this coverage is for a particular JP2
codestream -->
                        </RectifiedGridCoverage>
                        <!--    other features and metadata associated
                                with that coverage can go here -->
                </FeatureCollection>
        <FeatureCollection>

Does this structure accomodate the needs of netCDF?

[SPF:] I hope that we can make sure that the GML/JPEG2000 specification can
accomodate the netCDF community. In particular, I would ask members of the
GML/JPEG2000 list to comment on some of the questions raised below.

[SPF:] NOTE: I have edited a bit for readability. Thus far, Frank W's comments
are prefixed by [FW:],John Caron's by [JC:], mine by [SPF:]

> > On 4/12/05, John Caron <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > [JC:]    1.  scientific data is typically 4D, so the client
> must know how to
> > > handle a vertical and time dimension, as well as the usual 2D
> > > horizontal. The vertical layers  and time series are the main
> > > relationships we'd like to express with multiple "images".
> >
> > [FW:] I think that the GML coverage description approach has very good
> > tools to describe addiitional dimensions, including unusual
> dimensions
> > like pressure and geopotential height.  However, I think some
> > conventions on how this should be done still need to be prepared
> > to ensure respectible interoperability.
> >

> > > [JC:]    2. the vertical dimension is often not height, more
> like pressure or
> > > "geopotential height" that can be approximately mapped to height.

> > >  [JC:]   3. We would generally prefer  to transfer the
> floating point data
> > > values as close as possible to what they are in the file,
> and let the
> > > client assign false color maps. It would be nice if the
> scientific user
> > > who is using a GIS package could access the underlying
> data values. Is
> > > that possible in JPEG2000?
> >
> > [FW:] My understanding is that internally JPEG2000 data streams
> > are integers with potentially up to 31 bits of precision
> (not exactly
> > sure about this part), so any floating point data would
> inevitably need
> > to be scaled.

[SPF:] JPEG20000 is indeed integer based. There are plans to introduce floating
point in the future, but it will be some years