Re: CLASS and CDM

Hi Ken:

Ken Knowles wrote:
Hi,
My name is Ken Knowles. I'm part of the software architecture team for NOAA's Comprehensive Large Array-data Stewardship System (CLASS). CLASS currently archives and distributes all POES and GOES data (as well as some others) and will eventually be the archive for MODIS, NPP, and NPOESS. The long-term goal and NOAA's current vision for CLASS is the stewardship of all environmental data archived at the NOAA National Data Centers (NNDC).

Depending on it's maturity, it seems like the Common Data Model could be very useful to us as we start to extend the interfaces for submission and access. Many of CLASS's long term requirements involve interoperability with other systems. I have a few questions for the group.

How active is the project?

Very active.

Will you be defining conventions for
Scientific Data Types?

Yes, we are working on that now.

Is there any more information available than
what's on the web site?

Most of the current info is referenced from the netcdf-java web pages. Have a
look there and then send me any specific questions:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/

The presentation to ESIP is a good start, but
as the slides lack comments, it's a little hard to follow, not having seen the talk. I'm particularly interested in your conventions for Coordinate Systems.

Have a look here:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/index.htm#CoordSys

The talk seems to gloss over important details
(like datums).

Yes, there was a lot of glossing over!

We've been trying to get the CF group to work on datum specification. If we cant get much action from them, we'll have to look for another route.
We have also discussed WKT and GML in this regard. Whats your thought about how
to specify?

Thanks for the chance to introduce myself.

Glad to meet you.

BTW, the data-models group is not very active, so im cc'ing the thredds email
group which may be more appropriate to continue the conversation.

Regards,

John Caron