Re: is restarting tomcat necessary?

Hi Bruce, Bjørge,

Bjørge Solli wrote:
On Monday 15 May 2006 20:57, Bruce Flynn wrote:
I'm working on some scripts that generate some catalogs for my data
in a specific way.  I am therefore modifying my catalogs during the
debug and testing process.  Is it necessary to restart tomcat each
time?  I'm restarting to often and getting "port already in use"
errors.  It's getting to be a real pain, so any help would be much
appreciated.

You can use the /Tomcat Web Application Manager/ or use /ant/ to restart only thredds. I use ant in an automated script and it works fine. I do not however get the same error as you do when restarting tomcat, so you should still try fixing that (are you running several tomcats?).
The TDS also has a reinitialization capability that rereads all the config catalogs in the content/thredds directory without restarting the servlet or Tomcat. You need to have the SSL remote management stuff setup before you can use the reinit capability. The remote management docs are here, http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/RemoteManagement.html.

I haven't seen the "port already in use" error you are getting. But I would guess that if you make sure Tomcat has completely shutdown before starting it back up, you would avoid this error. The TDS reinit should certainly avoid this error. I think the tomcat web app manager web interface would avoid it as well.

Hope this helps,

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690