[THREDDS #ETD-820941]: aggregation and datasetscan

Hi Valentijn,

A few problems here.

First off, The scan location in an NcML aggregation only supports local
directories; it does not support remote URLs. It does not use the
CrawlableDataset framework. At some point we hope to use CrawlableDatasets to
implement the scan functionality but that is still a ways off.

NcML aggregation can aggregate any kind of dataset the netCDF-java library can
read (this includes netCDF, GRIB, and a few other data formats). If each
dataset is explicitly listed (in a netcdf element location attribute), they can
be local files, OPeNDAP datasets, or HTTP served netCDF. However, the location
specified in a scan element must be a local file directory.

Second, netcdf/aggregation elements and datasetScan elements cannot be nested.
They are handled by seperate pieces of code (NcML for aggregation and TDS for
datasetScan) and so don't know how to work together.

I would suggest you try aggregating a small number of the remote datasets you
are working with and see how that goes. You will have to list them individually
in the aggregation like:

<netcdf
location="http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/pathfinder/Version5.0/Monthly/1985/198501.s04m1pfv50-sst-16b.hdf
 " />

Not a great long term solution for a collection this size. Of course, we are
still trying to figure out how aggregation will scale on large collections (and
we're looking at scaling on local datasets). So, as things stand you probably
wouldn't want to aggregate all the data in these collections anyway.

Ethan

PS I'm going to be out of the office for the next two weeks or so (my wife and
I are expecting a baby on Friday). So, John will probably be answering
questions for awhile.

Ticket ID: ETD-820941
Department: Support THREDDS