[IDV #GFM-139212]: IDV - Sigma coordinates in IDV

Hi Andrew,

You can configure the THREDDS Data Server (TDS) to generate the currently
available datasets 'on the fly'. The main docs for the TDS are at

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/

The "Getting Started" link
(http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/GettingStarted.html) goes over
the basics. What you probably want is to include a <datasetScan> element in the
TDS config file. There is details on the datasetScan at

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/datasetScan/

From your example, something like this might work:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<catalog
    xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
    name="Unidata IDV Catalogs">

  <service name="champ" serviceType="OPeNDAP" base="/thredds/dodsC/" />

  <dataset name="my data">
    <metadata inherited="true">
      <serviceName>champ</serviceName>
    </metadata>
    <datasetScan name="CHAMP netCDF" path="champ"
                 location="/usr/local/AMPS/idv/data/incoming/champ/nz12kmn/" />

  </dataset>

</catalog>

You might want a seperate datasetScan for champ and one for ec_ens. I wasn't
sure what the directory structure looked like so I only did one datasetScan.
Also, I only included an OPeNDAP server. You can include other data services as
described in the TDS Configuration reference:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/Configuration.html

I'm not sure about including the NcML file. I will leave the answer to this for
John to answer.

Hope this helps.

Ethan

> I am having a bit of trouble setting up a THREDDS server, however. I'm
> able to create a THREDDS catalog which points to explicitly named files
> - see below. What I'd like instead is to provide links to the newest
> file in a directory, and the next-newest, etc, or just provide a list of
> all files. Is this possible?
>
> I have a directory structure that looks something like this:
>
> champ/2006100806.nc
> champ/2006100812.nc
> champ/2006100818.nc
>
> ec_ens/2006100806.nc
> ec_ens/2006100812.nc
> ec_ens/2006100818.nc
>
> ..etc
>
> Can I setup the THREDDS catalog to generate a list of the files in these
> directories 'on the fly', or do the files have to be specified
> explicitly in the dataset specification of the THREDDS file - ie. would
> I have to re-create the xml file every time the files in the directory
> changes? I've tried to work this out using the examples in the Catalog
> data chooser, but these all seem to have the source files specified
> explicitly.
>
> Also, how do I specify the NcML file in the THREDDS catalog?
>
> Sorry to keep bothering you with these sorts of things, but we're almost
> there!
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Andrew

> Current THREDDS xml file:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <catalog
> xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
> xmlns:xlink="/usr/local/AMPS/idv/" name="Unidata IDV Catalogs">
>
> <service name="champ" serviceType="http"
> base="/usr/local/AMPS/idv/data/incoming/champ/nz12kmn/" />
> <dataset name="CHAMP netCDF" >
> <dataset urlPath="2006100818.nc" name="2006100818" serviceName="champ"/>
> </dataset>

Ticket ID: GFM-139212
Department: Support THREDDS