Re: CSW, THREDDS, GALEON 2

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the useful note.

I think I may need to clarify the situation.  The current primary focus of the CSW/THREDDS gateway that GMU is working on is mainly on mapping THREDDS catalog metadata to ISO 19115 so that THREDDS metadata can be made available in an international standard form.  It would be a mistake to divert that project from it's high priority objectives.

I agree with you: this is a useful objective. Indeed, in the framework of GALEON phase II, we're interested in providing a contribution on such topic. In fact, we developed a mapping from THREDDS data model to an ISO 19115 profile.

Presently, we're testing a similar mapping for CS-W.ebRIM, too.

On the other hand, the question of how to provide inventory catalogs of "collections" of datasets, and catalogs of those collections -- as THREDDS does -- keeps coming up in many different settings.  It arose in the OGC GALEON interoperability experiment; it came up in discussions at the 3rd Interoperability Workshop on the Automated Harvesting of Data and Metadata last week.

In our opinion, this is another important issue. For example, we are experimenting a Web Service to aggregate distributed THREDDS catalogs, creating a new virtual catalog, using either a pull or a push based approach.

---Stefano

So I sent the message to the THREDDS and GALEON email lists in order to get a wider group thinking about the issue which I think is a key to making all these data services work together.  For those of you who are not familiar with THREDDS catalogs, an example of a heirarchical set of catalogs is available for a variety of real-time data at:

  http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html

As you will note as you drill down through the collections, you can get the underlying xml representation of any of any of these catalogs by replacing the .html with .xml in the URL.

From Ron Lake's notes, it sounds like CSW.ebRIM can be used to provide this type of functionality via a standards-based interface.
It's important though that, while we consider the long range goals, we also retain realistic expectations of the current project.

I hope this clarifies rather than confuses the issue.

-- Ben