Re: Java heap space

Hi Pauline,

From the TDS documentation page (http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/), take a look at the "Performance" page

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/Performance.html

It discusses a few JVM command-line options you should set to give your server more memory and make sure it is using the "server" settings for the java hotspot VM. Basically, in ${tomcat_home}/bin/startup.sh you can add something like:

   JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx512m -Xms128m"
   export JAVA_OPTS

which starts the server with 128meg of heap space and a max of 512meg. We actually give our main server 512meg to start and around 2Gig max. Choose your settings as appropriate for the machine on which your server is running.

Ethan

Pauline Mak wrote:
Hi Ethan,

I've tried to use my test server again today, and have found that it's
getting a Java heap space problem.  I then restarted my server and it
can load the large dataset. However, if I refreshed the page, I get the
Java heap space problem.
Ahh, I tried that restart/reload a few more times, and it seems like it
works for the first few loads, and then any large dataset will result in
the error.

Having said that, if I went back through the smaller dataset, TDS will
show smaller dataset fine.
This is what I get in catalina.out:

2007-05-09T12:17:27.275 +1000 [   3495267][      97] ERROR -
thredds.servlet.CatalogServicesServlet - doGet req=
http://ngdev.sf.utas.edu.au:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://ngdev.sf.utas.edu.au:8080/thredds/catalog/argo_csiro/catalog.xml
 got Exception
2007-05-09T12:17:27.294 +1000 [   3495286][      97] ERROR -
thredds.servlet.ServletUtil - handleException

I tried to setup the remote management thing in tomcat without success,
so I'm afraid I can't give you more details until I can get that up and
running.

Cheers,

-Pauline.