[THREDDS #BHO-389074]: thredds aggregation

Hi Carl,

> Thanks for the further help on this.  The following is the contents of
> the catalogError.log file:
>
> Catalog init catalog.xml
>
> Catalog /usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/content/thredds/catalog.xml
> ----Catalog Validation version 1.0.01
> *** XML parser error (5:132)= cvc-complex-type.4: Attribute 'name' must
> appear on element 'catalogRef'.
[snip]

The XML Schema that describes THREDDS catalogs requires that catalogRef
elements contain a name attribute. Kind of a pain but that's what we have at
the moment. It is ignored in favor of the xlink:title attribute, we just make
sure we have an empty name attribute in each catalogRef, e.g.:

    <catalogRef xlink:href="myCat.xml" xlink:title="my catalog" name="" />

I'm a little surprised you are getting this message though. We have turned off
full validation in a number of spots. What version of the TDS are you running?
It should say at the bottom of the /thredds/catalog.html page of your server;
or it is in the manifest file in the .war file; or it is in the
webapps/thredds/docs/README.txt file.

> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for = docs request path= docs/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for = Pathfinder request path=
> Pathfinder/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for = Pathfinder request path=
> Pathfinder/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for = Pathfinder request path=
> Pathfinder/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for = Pathfinder request path=
> Pathfinder/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for =
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data request path=
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for =
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data request path=
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for =
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data request path=
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for =
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data request path=
> Pathfinder/Northwest_Atlantic/data/catalog.xml
> makeDynamicCatalog(): No DataRoot for = docs request path= docs/catalog.xml

These are from the catalogError.log file? I'm not sure I understand these
messages.

> It appears that the config catalog is not getting initialialized.  When
> you suggest including it in the threddsConfig.xml file do you mean
> adding it like this (near the top of the file)?:
>
> <catalogRoot>cataloggen/config/config.xml</catalogRoot>

Yes, I did mean adding a line like this one. However, you don't want to include
the above as the cataloggen/config/config.xml file shouldn't be a catalog. It
is a configuration file for our old-style catalogGen servlet/app.

> Should adding the above line result in it then being initialized?  For
> your information, this is the main catalog.xml file being called:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <catalog name="REASoN Can Data Portal"
> xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
> xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Sea Surface Temperature"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/sst3.xml"/>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Sea Surface Height"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/ssh3.xml"/>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Surface Rain"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/rain3.xml"/>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Ocean Color"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/color3.xml"/>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Surface Winds"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/winds3.xml"/>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Other Ocean Data"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/ocean3.xml"/>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Pathfinder Aggregation"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/PathAg.xml"/>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="Remote Sensing Systems - non OPeNDAP"
> xlink:href="http://satdat1.gso.uri.edu:80/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/catalog_ssmi.xml"/>
> </catalog>

The cataloggen/catalogs directory is the location into which the catalogGen
app/servlet dynamically generates catalogs that are described by the config
files in the cataloggen/config directory. It is not a good place to put static
catalogs. I'm not actually sure what behavior you would get. But I'm guessing
that is why you are getting the "makeDynamicCatalog():" messages in your
catalogError.log file.

> It is the PathAg.xml CatRef file that I am working with to test the
> Aggregation.

Try pulling the PathAg.xml file out of the cataloggen/catalogs directory and
placing it directly in content/thredds alongside catalog.xml and then change
the catalogRef in catalog.xml to point to "PathAg.xml" instead of
"cataloggen/catalogs/PathAg.xml". I think that will help.

Ethan

PS If any of the other catalogs in cataloggen/catalogs are not generated by the
catalogGen app/servlet, it would probably be a good idea to move them up two
levels as well.

> Thanks for your continued help on this.
>
> Carl Wolfteich

Ticket ID: BHO-389074