[THREDDS #WUY-770923]: Thredds client

Hi Ernie,

> I have installed a TDS that is successfully serving
> a wide variety of data within our NexGen development
> environment.
>
> It would be a great help to have a client
> application that was capable of being configured to
> query (with sub setting) the thredds data server and
> return and store the resulting file.

I'm not sure what you mean by query the TDS. Have you looked at the IDV
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/)? It can read THREDDS catalogs and
open datasets in those catalogs that are served by OPeNDAP. Once opened it can
make subset requests to actual read the data from the server.

There is also the NCSS service which provides a way to request a subset of a
dataset and get a netCDF file back. For example, on our server
(http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html), if you browse down thru
"NCEP Model Data" to an accessible dataset you will see a variety of access
methods. If you select the "NetcdfSubset" access URL, it will show a web form
from which you can select the subset you want.

> I have examined the Netted tools application and
> although the capability to do what I want may reside
> there, I am incapable of divining its true nature.
> Are you aware of such a capability and if so can you
> instruct me in how to locate it?

I am not familiar with the "Netted tools application" so I can't give you much
help there. Is that part of FAA NextGen development?

> (I need the functionality to dump data into older
> legacy systems)

What kind of legacy systems are you using? And what types of data can they read?

If your legacy systems can read netCDF files, then the NCSS service might be
of interest. Another possibility if they read netCDF, the next release of
netCDF-4 will also read OPeNDAP so with a little relinking you could access the
remote data directly  in your apps.

> Thanks
> Ernie

Hope that's useful. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Ethan

Ticket ID: WUY-770923
Department: Support THREDDS