[THREDDS #RNZ-598093]: 360 day year support?

Hi Steve,

> Quite a few people are doing different things. Someone is using Python
> with pydap to get certain patches of the data. Others use Matlab with
> njTBX and others use Ferret. I'm trying to get it to work with ncWMS to
> give some quick visuals for people who want to see some data without
> scripting.

I suspect the python, Matlab, and Ferret scripts will have to explicitly deal
with the 360 day year. The ncWMS uses netCDF-Java which does not appear to
understand the CF "calendar" attribute. I'm guessing this will mean that the
ncWMS time dimension will not give you dates restricted to the 360 day year. If
this is the case, we may want to dig into this "calendar" stuff more on the
netCDF-java side of things.

Ethan

Steve wrote:
> Ethan wrote:
>
> > OK. Everything sounds good and I'll try to answer and clarify the following.

> > The THREDDS server probably doesn't need to understand the calendar
> > attribute. Instead, it is the client software (e.g., ToolsUI or ncWMS,
> > which is a client wrt this dataset) that needs to understand the meaning
> > of the calendar attribute in its interpretation of this dataset. Both
> > ToolsUI and ncWMS are based on the netCDF-Java library and though it
> > understands a lot of CF, I am not sure if it understands the "360 day"
> > calendar. I'll look into that tomorrow.
>

> Hi Ethan,
>
> Thanks for the explanation. As long as THREDDS passes on the attributes it
> is up to the client to do the right thing.
>
> > How will you or others be interacting with this dataset?
>
> Quite a few people are doing different things. Someone is using Python
> with pydap to get certain patches of the data. Others use Matlab with
> njTBX and others use Ferret. I'm trying to get it to work with ncWMS to
> give some quick visuals for people who want to see some data without
> scripting.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Steve

Ticket ID: RNZ-598093