[THREDDS #XIG-399067]: default colorScaleRange for WMS within the TDS?

Hi Jon,

Is there any chance of adding the colorScaleRange parameter to some future
version of the WMS spec? Will it be part of the MetOcean profile?

On 6/3/2010 2:56 PM, Jon Blower wrote:
> Hi Rich, all,
>
> I've just discussed this a little with Ethan.  I think we came up with
> the following options:
>
> 1) Configure the default colour scale on a dataset-by-dataset,
> variable-by-variable basis using the TDS catalog, by adding
> attributes to the NcML for each dataset.  This allows fine
> control in-place, but would involve the use of a non-standard
> attribute, which could change in future depending on discussions
> in CF.  (Also, I see the configuration of the default colour scales
> as a property of the server, not the dataset, although this is
> arguable.)
>
> 2) Configure the default colour scale on a dataset-by-dataset,
> variable-by-variable basis using a separate config file, perhaps
> threddsConfig.xml or a file that is linked from it.  This allows fine
> control, but is separate from the catalog.  When a dataset is added
> to the catalog, the default colour scale settings would have to be
> added to the separate config file.  However, this method would not
> require the use of non-standard attributes in the catalog.
>
> 3) Provide a set of "global" (i.e. per-server) defaults for each CF
> standard name.  This has four main disadvantages: many users don't use
> standard names (or they don't exist for some quantities); the list of
> standard names is very long; the defaults would have to be different
> in different units; and the defaults (if set for typical globe-scale
> regions) would probably be unsuitable for regional datasets.
>
> There could be some combination of the above.  But I think we preferred
> option (2) above overall.
>
> What do you (and others) think?

I agree.

> Cheers, Jon
>
> (P.S. Ethan - is there a thredds users mailing list that this could be
> forwarded to, or is the support mailing list the best vehicle for this
> discussion?)

We could move this discussion to the thredds list to get more input. There also
might be some potential for good conversation on both the OGC MetOcean DWG list
and the CF list. (Not so much on the how-to-configure end of things but rather
on any standardization efforts.)

Ethan

Ticket ID: XIG-399067
Department: Support THREDDS