[THREDDS #TKC-172853]: Missing values and TDS

Hi Cathy,

How are you getting the data? Are you using the NetCDF Subset Service (NCSS)
access method to request the dataset?

There is no way to specify that you would like non-NaN missing values when you
request a netCDF file from the TDS. I suspect it isn't a simple matter in this
case as it has to do with how the GRIB files are being converted into netCDF.

However, I'm going to ask John Caron to give a more definitive answer.
Unfortunately he won't be back from vacation for about two weeks.

Ethan

Cathy Smith wrote:
> I am reading CFSR data from NOMADS and missing values are being returned
> as NaN (for example, for  ocean variables over land) from the TDS. This
> causes problems for me in NCL and likely would in other languages.  Can
> missing values be returned as something more portable such as 9.9692e+36
> as is the default in C?
> Thanks,
> Cathy Smith

Ticket ID: TKC-172853