[THREDDS #TKC-172853]: Missing values and TDS

> Ethan
>
> I am using opendap access to the NOMADS server. I open the files in NCL
> and then read them. I also tested open the files using dncdump
>
> dncdump -h
> http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/cfsrmon/197901/ocnh06.gdas.197901.grb2
>
> and see NaN as the missing value there. e.g.

> float Vertical_velocity_geometric(time, depth_below_sea, lat, lon) ;
> Vertical_velocity_geometric:long_name =
> "Vertical_velocity_geometric @ depth_below_sea" ;
> Vertical_velocity_geometric:units = "m s-1" ;
> Vertical_velocity_geometric:missing_value = NaNf ;
>
> We downloaded the grib file directly and looked at it. It does not have
> the NaN for any of the values as there is a mask applied when the grib
> is converted to netcdf (in this case, a land mask).
>
> So, it is how the grib files are being converted to netCDF, as you suggest.
>
> Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
>
> Cathy

Hi Cathy:

The rib file does not store the missing values, so each library chooses that
representation. The netcdf-java library uses NaNs to indicate missing values.
This currently cannot be changed. What problem are you having with portability
of NaNs?

John