[THREDDS #GHS-781915]: questions from Argentina

> Good morning,Lansing Madry.I am trying to get a time series of the
> forecast U-component of the surface level winds for to specific gridbox
> containing the location 45.78 S - 067.5 W, for the level of 1000 hpa. If
> this is not possible, it would be for surface. In another order, for
> example; if today, I try to obtain the data; which is the date  from start
> of the forecast and until term of time (end date of the forecast).
> Please sendo to me an example with other variable (prate)
> Thank you in adavance, sorry my english is bad. Regards.
> Walter
>

> >> Good morning, my name is Walter Maza. I am teacher in the National
> >> University of the Patagonia, in Argentina.
> >>
> >> My consultation is the following one:
> >>
> >> From the page:
> >> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Global_onedeg/NCEP-GFS-Global_onedeg_fmrc.ncd.html
> >>
> >> I try to obtain information ascii (best time series) for Comodoro
> >> Rivadavia (45.78 S - 067.5 W) with forecast to the major possible time
> >> of
> >> the variable U component of wind in 1000 hpa.
> >> For the date of today on September 04 (satart date)with information of
> >> 06z.
> >> since it should deposit the following information?
> >>
> >> U-component_of_wind_altitude_above_msl: Grid
> >> I think
> >> time:0:1:234
> >> altitude_above_msl:???
> >> lat: 135:1:135
> >> lon: 292:1:292
> >>
> >> Please if it can help me with this, thank you very much in advance,
> >> regards
> >>

> > Dear Walter,
> >
> > I have taken a look at your question, and I want to make sure I understand
> > what you're asking.  It seems to me that you are trying to get a time
> > series of the forecast U-component of the surface level winds for a
> > specific gridbox containing the location 45.78 S - 067.5 W, and you appear
> > to be asking which level, of the three available, is the surface level.
> >
> > I looked at the three levels, and none are at the surface.  They are at
> > elevations above msl of:
> >
> > Dataset {
> >     Float64 altitude_above_msl[altitude_above_msl = 3];
> > } fmrc%2fNCEP%2fGFS%2fGlobal_onedeg%2fNCEP-GFS-Global_onedeg_fmrc%2encd;
> > altitude_above_msl[3]
> > 1829.0, 2743.0, 3658.0
> >
> > Also, I am having trouble understanding your suggestion of time
> > coordinates.  As near as I can tell, the time variable has 65 steps in
> > each of 87 runs, rather than a single time series of 235 steps.
> >
> > Could you confirm my interpretation or otherwise clarify what you are
> > looking for?
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Lansing Madry
> >   Unidata
> >   Boulder, CO
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > ===================
> > Ticket ID: GHS-781915
> > Department: Support THREDDS

Walter,

I think you want to do the following:

1) Check the box next to "U-component_of_wind: Array of 32 bit Reals [run =
0..86][time = 0..64][pressure = 0..25][lat = 0..180][lon = 0..359]" -- it is
the third variable in the list.
2) In the "run" box enter "0:1:0" -- or whichever run you want
3) In the "time" box enter "0:1:64 -- to get all of the forecast timesteps
4) In the "pressure" box enter "0:1:0" -- to get 100hPa level
5) In the "lat" box enter "135:1:135" -- to get your latitude of interest
gridbox
6) In the "lon" box enter "292:1:292" -- to get your longitude of interest
gridbox
7) Click the "Get ASCII" button to see the data.

You may want a different (or multiple) run instead of just the first one.

Hope this helps!

-Lansing