[THREDDS #GHR-456072]: nullPointerException in when accessing 4.3.15 GRIB featureCollection's

Hi Dan,

What version of Tomcat and Java are you running?

I see an "OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" in the serverStartup.log file. There
is some psiprobe code wound up in the stack. Is that the OOM error you mention?
Have you increased the maximum amount of PermGen space allowed with a
"-XX:MaxPermSize" java option? We have an FAQ with some PermGen information
[1]. Not sure if this one is related to the same issues or not.

In the threddsServlet.log file I'm seeing a NullPointerException. However,
given the NPE stacktrace and the preceeding WARNing message [3], I'm wondering
if there is a permission problem. Does the user that runs this Tomcat instance
have permission to write in the content/thredds directory and/or the directory
where the data files are located?

If that is the issue, another option is to run the THREDDS Data Manager (TDM)
[2]. The TDM is a stand-alone process that can run in the background to crawl
data directories and keep indexes up to date. It can also notify the TDS when
indexes have been updated.

Let us know if any of that helps.

Ethan

Dan Swank wrote:
> Upon Ethan's request, here is the last two messages
> I sent to Caron, whom is out right now:
> I will be sending the full config & logs to Ethan
> in a separate message:
>
> ==== Begin FWD ==============================
>
> John
>
> I need to raise this thread after about 40 days of staleness.
> After wading through the docs regarding the feature collection
> and trying a few things, I just cannot get this working for our
> gfsanl dataset.  (Around L40 on catalog.xml).
>
> Attached tar.bz2 package contains configs & logs.
> The exception in featureCollection.xml* is different than before.
> However I had my psi probe come up with an OOM error.
> so it very well may still be sucking it dry.
>
> I have my opts set as  -Xms8192m -Xmx16384m
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>

> ==== next ==================================================================
>
> John:
> I found that it didn't like my dateFormatMark
> ~ corrected that, it actually builds the .gbx9 indecies now,
> but the same NullPointerException  is occuring:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at thredds.catalog.InvDatasetFcGrib.makeCatalogTop(InvDatasetFcGrib.java:449)
> at thredds.catalog.InvDatasetFcGrib.makeCatalog(InvDatasetFcGrib.java:373)
> at
> thredds.servlet.DataRootHandler.makeDynamicCatalog(DataRootHandler.java:1469)
> at thredds.servlet.DataRootHandler.getCatalog(DataRootHandler.java:1432)
> at
> thredds.server.catalogservice.LocalCatalogServiceController.handleRequestInternal(LocalCatalogServiceController.java:191)
> at
> org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.AbstractController.handleRequest(AbstractController.java:153)
> at
> org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.handle(SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.java:48)
> at
> org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:923)
> at
> org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:852)
> ~ more ~
>
> Also changed the path so it only scans 1 month.
>

> =======================================
> Dan Swank
> NCDC-NOMADS Project
> Team ERT/STG

============================

[1]
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.2/faq.html#permGenOutOfMemoryError

[2]
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.3/reference/collections/TDM.html

[3]
2013-01-16T15:55:06.525 -0500 [     12250][       7] INFO  - threddsServlet -
Remote host: 127.0.0.1 - Request: "GET
/thredds/catalog/gribFC/gfsanlfc/catalog.html HTTP/1.1"
2013-01-16T15:55:06.533 -0500 [     12258][       7] WARN  -
ucar.nc2.util.DiskCache2 - Cant create directories for file
.../content/thredds/cache/GribIndex/global/nomads/nexus/gfsanl
2013-01-16T15:55:33.820 -0500 [     39545][       7] ERROR -
thredds.server.catalogservice.LocalCatalogServiceController -
handleRequestInternal(): Problem handling request.
java.lang.NullPointerException
  at thredds.filesystem.ControllerOS$Traversal.<init>(ControllerOS.java:245)
  at
thredds.filesystem.ControllerOS$MFileIteratorAll.getNextIterator(ControllerOS.java:218)
  at
thredds.filesystem.ControllerOS$MFileIteratorAll.getNextIterator(ControllerOS.java:224)
  at
thredds.filesystem.ControllerOS$MFileIteratorAll.getNextIterator(ControllerOS.java:224)
  at
thredds.filesystem.ControllerOS$MFileIteratorAll.hasNext(ControllerOS.java:196)
  at
thredds.filesystem.ControllerOS$FilteredIterator.nextFilteredFile(ControllerOS.java:137)
  at
thredds.filesystem.ControllerOS$FilteredIterator.hasNext(ControllerOS.java:119)
  at
thredds.inventory.MFileCollectionManager.reallyScan(MFileCollectionManager.java:517)
  at
thredds.inventory.MFileCollectionManager.scanFirstTime(MFileCollectionManager.java:478)
  at
thredds.inventory.MFileCollectionManager.getFiles(MFileCollectionManager.java:440)
  at
thredds.inventory.TimePartitionCollection.makePartitionsByDays(TimePartitionCollection.java:254)
  at
thredds.inventory.TimePartitionCollection.makePartitions(TimePartitionCollection.java:93)
  at
ucar.nc2.grib.grib1.Grib1TimePartitionBuilder.needsUpdate(Grib1TimePartitionBuilder.java:137)
  at
ucar.nc2.grib.grib1.Grib1TimePartitionBuilder.readOrCreateIndex(Grib1TimePartitionBuilder.java:123)
  at
ucar.nc2.grib.grib1.Grib1TimePartitionBuilder.factory(Grib1TimePartitionBuilder.java:73)
  at ucar.nc2.grib.TimePartition.factory(TimePartition.java:96)
  at
thredds.catalog.InvDatasetFcGrib.updateCollection(InvDatasetFcGrib.java:220)
  at thredds.catalog.InvDatasetFcGrib.checkState(InvDatasetFcGrib.java:205)
  at thredds.catalog.InvDatasetFcGrib.makeCatalog(InvDatasetFcGrib.java:364)
  at
thredds.servlet.DataRootHandler.makeDynamicCatalog(DataRootHandler.java:1469)
  at thredds.servlet.DataRootHandler.getCatalog(DataRootHandler.java:1432)

Ticket ID: GHR-456072
Department: Support THREDDS