[THREDDS #CPC-118546]: Meso-SAILS (FN Convention)

Gary,

The headers we use for naming the products are specified by a WMO standard,
which only includes time out to the minute. As a result, the only way to get
the proper time out to seconds would be to crack open every product that comes
in. That's a ton of products, which greatly increases the server load. Given
that the problem is an extremely rare occurrence (I still argue theoretically
impossible), I don't think it's a good use of our resources to do this, given
the needs of our education and research communities.

I also asked Jessica Schultz of the ROC about this as well, since it will
affect all of NOAAPORT, and this was her response:
"
Thanks for the question. While we believe it is highly unlikely for the update
to be less than 60 seconds, we are aware of that issue and are exploring
options to prevent any data from being lost or overwritten. Before MESO-SAILS
becomes fully operational, we will work to ensure this will not be an issue for
downstream users.
"

I'll be paying close attention in May when these scans are tested, and if it
proves to be more of a significant issue, we'll revisit.

Ryan

> Gary,
>
> Thanks for the additional information.
>
> It turns out that the LDM headers we use to get the time information for file
> names only contains time out to the minute, so that complicates things a bit.
> We can't just add any seconds (say, from the current time) to it because we
> cannot guarantee the order of arrival of products. I'm currently looking into
> where the LDM headers come from to see if we have any flexibility to fix this
> further upstream from THREDDS.
>
> I'll let you know what I find out when I do...
>
> Ryan
>
> > Hello Ryan:
> >
> > See additional info provided by NWS below....
> >
> > Gary Fritz
> > Dubois County Skywarn

Ticket ID: CPC-118546
Department: Support THREDDS