[THREDDS #XIU-305285]: TDS 4.6.1 - fail to create featureCollections based on NCEP Wavewatch3 transfer files

Hi Greg,

I was able to fix your example file using NcML (attached to this message).
However, there were definitely some hacks:

1. The CDM requires that when there are "station" and "time" dimensions, they
should appear in the following order when used to dimension variables: "station
time". This is not a CF requirement--merely an (undocumented) requirement of
our own implementation. I believe we have a JIRA ticket in place to address
this in the future.

Your original dataset has the order "time station". I was able to fix this in
the NcML using 'shape="station time"', however THAT'S NOT GENERALLY POSSIBLE. I
was only able to do it in this instance because your dimension lengths were
"time=7, station=1", so I could swap the dims without needing to rearrange the
data.

2. When using the Orthogonal multidimensional array representation of time
series [1], the latitude and longitude variables are expected to be dimensioned
by "station" only, not "time station" or even "station time". I noticed that
all your latitudes are the same and all your longitudes are the same, so I just
dropped the "time" dimension from their shapes in the NcML.

FYI, the easiest way to check whether a DSG dataset is CF-compliant is to open
it in toolsUI [2]. Go to the FeatureTypes->PointFeature tab. If you can open
the dataset there and the rows in the tables look okay, you should be good to
go.

Cheers,
Christian

[1]
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.6/build/cf-conventions.html#Example%20H2.1.1
[2] ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf-java/v4.6/toolsUI-4.6.jar

Ticket ID: XIU-305285
Department: Support THREDDS