[THREDDS #PXS-613580]: issue reading TDS file in OPeNDAP

Ok, The problem appears to be this:
Lines like this appear in the .das:

    String WavesMonCfg.OutPath "C:\data\MVCO14\101003_ADCP767\wavesB\";

This is illegal in a DAS.
The spec says:
> 3.  String and URL: Strings and URLs are printed in US-ASCII.
> If the value of a string contains a space, it must be quoted
> using double quotes (").  If the value contains a double quote,
that MUST be escaped using the backslash (\) character.
The backslash character is represented as backslash-backslash (\\).

In particular,note that the above WavesMonCfg.OutPath example
ends with backslash followed by a double quote, so it looks like
the last double quote is part of the string constant.

Since this appears to be a thredds server, I will investigate why it is
not properly quoting strings.
I have moved this to a github issues here:
https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/issues/598

On 7/25/2016 11:25 AM, Montgomery, Ellyn wrote:
> New Ticket: issue reading TDS file in OPeNDAP
>
> Hi folks-
>
> I have tried to see why this file displays correctly in OPeNDAP (
> http://stellwagen.er.usgs.gov/thredds/dodsC/TSdata/MVCO_14/10103whp-cal.nc.html),
> but fails to allow access from ToolsUI or Matlab using the URL. The other
> files in the catalog work as expected, it's just something in the whp-cal.nc
> files that's causing trouble.  When viewed ncinfo, the file shows no
> attributes, but they're really there. Http download works fine, and ncdump
> shows there are attributes.  I can open and read variables and attributes
> from the *local* file in matlab, it only has problems when accessed through
> THREDDS (v 4.63).
>
> This is a classic file.  I was suspicious of the NaNs in the dpsec minimum
> and maximum attributes, so I made a test file where the arrays with NaNs
> were changed to single elements: 0 for min and 2.14748368E8 for max.
> Unfortunately, I am unable to access the variables or attributes of the
> test file with matlab or toolsUI.
>
> It seems like neither the netcdf-java nor the C interface can read the
> file. Any hints on what's toxic would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your insights.

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: PXS-613580