20020506: using UDUNITS on DEC Alpha: incorrect PTR

Sally,

>Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 17:48:58 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Sally Holl <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20020506: building udunits: errno.h: No such file or directory

> Hi Steve,
>
> My sysadmin compiled the udunits package with a problem. Thank you for the
> advice.
>
> I am trying to compile the readgeneral.f program I am getting
> some errors which I am attaching to this e-mail as a text file. I believe
> the errors are with primarily with the udunits.inc file.
>
> I am compiling it with the Compaq Fortran compiler ("fort") on a DEC Alpha
> running Linux-2.4.1. I also tried to compile using "f77" but got similar
> complaints about the "PTR" parts of the udunits.inc file. I asked my
> sysadmin about it and she thought maybe the udunits didn't "pick up" the
> alpha f90 compiler so she recompiled it. I still get the same errors after
> she did this.
>
> Do you have any ideas about how to fix these errors?

Thank you in advance for your help,
> Sally

I suspect that the macro PTR is defined incorrectly in the installed
file udunits.inc, which I believe is included by readgeneral.f. On a DEC
Alpha, pointers are 64-bit entities and the corresponding Fortran type
is "INTEGER*8". See what the definition for PTR is in your installed
"udunits.inc" file and change it if necessary.  Then recompile
readgeneral.f.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,