20030325: SGI2000: unresolved: ncopt, utopen

Qinghai Liao,

>Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:57:30 +0800
>From: "iaplqh" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: SGI2000

> I have installed the binary codes of udunits for
> SGI IRIX6.5,and then I compiled my code-readolr.f,
> the error messages are put in file-p.The question
> is all routines used in the readolr.f ,such as ncopt,et al
> is not found.
> I hope you can help me to solve this problem.
>
> Qinghai Liao
> address@hidden

> ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "ncopn_" -- 1st referenced by
> readolr.o.
>       Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and dsos
> are loaded.
> ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "ncvid_" -- 1st referenced by
> readolr.o.
>       Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and dsos
> are loaded.
> ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "utopen_" -- 1st referenced by
> readolr.o.
>       Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and dsos
> are loaded.
> ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "utmake_" -- 1st referenced by
> readolr.o.

The above symbols are functions of the netCDF library or the UDUNITS
library.  The fact that the linker didn't find them indicates that
either the linker command-line didn't reference them or that the
libraries don't contain them.

To reference the libraries on the linker command-line, make sure that
you specify them using the "-L" and "-l" options. For example:

    f77 readolr.f -L/opt/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf -L/opt/udunits/lib -ludunits

To see if the libraries contain the unresolved symbols, use the nm(1)
utility.  For example:

    nm -g /usr/lib/libnetcdf.a | grep ncopn
    nm -g /usr/lib/libudunits.a | grep utmake

Regards,
Steve Emmerson