Re: problem building udunits

Steve-

Steve Emmerson wrote:

The CPPFLAGS macro must be set before the configure script is executed.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Set you environment variable as before.

    4.  Ensure that the CPPFLAGS environment variable contains the
        string "-Df2cFortran".

    5.  Execute the configure script.

    6.  Execute the command "make"

    7.  Execute the command "make install".

The problem is that I was using the INSTALL document on the
web which is out of date:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/udunits/INSTALL.txt

It listed the flags for Linux as:

    linux_2.0-i586 (Sunshine):
        CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
        CC=/usr/bin/cc
        PERL=/usr/bin/perl              # version 5.003 with EMBED

The distribution INSTALL file (version 1.12.3 from the CD from
the workshop) shows:

    linux_2.4-i686 (Daffy):
        CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
        CC=/usr/bin/gcc
        CFLAGS='-O -fno-builtin'
        PERL=/usr/bin/perl

The Web docs should be updated to be in sync with the release.

Also, as I mentioned, the INSTALL file does not (that I could
find) include any mention that you may need superuser priveliges
to install the PERL module.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
"There's someone in my head, but it's not me"    Roger Waters