20041209: using binary udunits installation

>From: Mariusz Pagowski <address@hidden>

Hi Mariusz,

>I downloaded binary udunits-1.11.7 for linux.
>When I execute
>
>udunits
>
>this appears
>
>udunits(3): Couldn't open units database "/upc/udunits/etc/udunits.dat":
>No such file or directory
>udunits: Couldn't initialize udunits(3) package
>
>even though udunits.dat is in the ../etc/ directory.
>
>CAn I avoid installing from the source code?

Yes.  To use a binary distribution installed in a directory structure
other than the default (/upc/udunits), you need to define the Unix
environment variable UDUNITS_PATH as the fully qualified pathname of
the udunits.dat file.  For instance, if you installed the UDUNITS
binary under /home/pagowsik, then you would define UDUNITS_PATH as:

conforming shell syntax:

UDUNITS_PATH=/home/pagowsik/etc/udunits.dat
export UDUNITS_PATH

csl or tcsh syntax:

setenv UDUNITS_PATH /home/pagowsik/etc/udunits.dat

>Thanks,

Sorry that setting the UDUNITS_PATH environment variable was anything
but obvious.

>Mariusz Pagowski
>NOAA Research-Forecast Systems Laboratory*,
>325 Broadway FSL/FS1, Boulder, CO 80305-3328
>Tel: (303)497-6443, Fax: (303)497-7262
>e-mail: address@hidden

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas