[UDUNITS #GYX-412442]: Installing UDUNITS

Michael,

> I am trying to install software that will read a netCDF file and write the
> output into a different format (GEMPAK). When I tried to install the routine,
> I received errors indicating that I did not have udunits installed (I do have
> a recent version of netCDF). I am not sure if I am answering your question
> adequately or not.

What is the name of the software that you're trying to install?  Is it written
in Fortran?

I ask because if you don't need the Fortran interface to the UDUNITS library,
then you
can just tell the installation procedure to use any known Fortran calling
convention and you
won't encounter the problem that you had.  For example:

    $ make distclean
    $ CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran ./configure >configure.log 2>&1
    $ make >make.log 2>&1

If the software that you need to use does need the Fortran interface, however,
then the above will work only if the Fortran compiler uses the "f2cFortran"
calling conventions.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: GYX-412442