[UDUNITS #TOB-790521]: exponential

Pelley,

> I appreciate that there is a logarithm unit, however, if I was to inverse
> this for example, (i.e. take the exponential of it), then udunits cannot
> currently handle this:
>
> Example of what we would expect:
> e^(log('meters')) -> 'meters'

A dimensional exponent (as opposed to a dimensionless one) is a red flag: it
indicates the use of a numeral-value equation or formula rather than a more
proper quantity equation or formula. Dimensional analysis teaches us that all
quantities that appear as exponents or that have their logarithm taken should
be dimensionless. This is why the logarithmic units in the UDUNITS-2 package
are dimensionless. For further information see section 7.11 of
<http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec07.html> and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis>.

Can you provide me with an example of a quantity equation or formula in which
an exponential unit makes sense?

> Thank you.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Carwyn Pelley