Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite prototype beta

Hi,

At the danish and swedish meteorolical institutes, we have implemented the
prototype suggestion.

We have two points we would like to discuss here:

- - Wavelength: we find it necessary to add the minimum and maximum wavelength
(spectral range) to the metadata. We think it is not enough just to specify one
wavelength for a band.

- - Geolocalization: we have quite a lot of data that is easily represented on a
grid, but the CF-convention requires the grid of lons and lats to be calculated.
This is of course highly inconvenient for fixed grids (from a data storage and
transfer perspective). We suggest adding a proj-string (proj.4 string
definition) and an area-extent option in the convention for grids. To us, it
makes a lot more sense than maintaining a list of accepted pre-defined grids in
the convention.

Best regards,

Martin Raspaud, Adam Dybbroe (SMHI)
Esben Stigård Nielsen, Kristian Rune Larsen, Lars Ørum Rasmussen (DMI)

Tom Whittaker skrev:
> We would like to suggest the following as a "starting point" that we
> can refine toward the goal of agreeing on a "basic" set of metadata
> and structure.  It is an example of a multi-banded image structure
> that contains navigation on a point-by-point basis, and provides for
> linear calibration.  The variable "names" are not critical, but the
> "standard_name" should be used by applications to identify the
> quantity.
>
> (In the following, most of the numbers are just samples....to make it
> more readable...)
>
> dimensions:
>        x = 5304 ;
>        y = 2438 ;
>        band=16
>
> variables:
>        float lat(y, x);
>                lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
>                lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
>                lat:valid_range = -90.f, 90.f ;
>
>        float lon(y, x) ;
>                lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
>                lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
>                lon:valid_range = -180.f, 180.f ;
>
>        int band(band);
>
>        double time;
>                time:long_name = "Nominal time of image";
>                time:units="s since 1990-1-1 0:0:0";
>
>        string bandname(band);
>                bandname:standard_name = "band_name" ;
>
>        float offset(band) ;
>                offset:standard_name="linear_calibration_offset";
>
>        float scale(band) ;
>                scale:standard_name="linear_calibration_scale_factor";
>
>        float wavelength(band);
>               wavelength:standard_name="radiation_wavelength";
>               wavelength:units="micron";
>
>        string units(band);
>                 units:standard_name="band_units";
>
>        short ImageData(band, y, x) ;
>                ImageData:coordinates = "band lat lon" ;
>                ImageData:valid_min = 1s ;
>                ImageData:_FillValue = 0s ;
>                ImageData:missing_value = 0s ;
>
> and for people who want/need to use a table look-up for calibration --
> instead of the "linear_calibration..."
> variables, we would use:
>
>         float lookup(band, 256);
>              lookup:standard_name="calibration_lookup_table";
>

> As Russ Rew pointed out, if there is only one band, it would be
> possible to dimension the Data as (y,x) but have the coordinates
> attribute contain "band".
>

> tom
> (with help from Tom Rink and Kaba Bah)

begin:vcard
fn:Martin Raspaud
n:Raspaud;Martin
org:SMHI
adr;quoted-printable:;;;Norrk=C3=B6ping;;60176;Sweden
email;internet:martin.raspaud@xxxxxxx
tel;work:+46 (0)11 495 8261
tel;cell:+46 (0)11 495 8261
x-mozilla-html:FALSE