From: Ben Domenico
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:39 AM
To: wcs-1.2.swg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Unidata GALEON
Subject: [WCS-1.2.swg] GALEON WCS update

Hi all,

It appears that another conflict has arisen that will prevent me from
participating in the WCS.SWG telecon tomorrow, so I'm using this email
for a few updates on issues of interest to both groups.

-- In GALEON phase 1, there was a very simple WCS use case, namely, the
client specifies a "parameter" name, a bounding box, and time constraint
and gets back a binary "coverage" that, if written to disk, is actually
a CF-netCDF3 file containing the requested data subset.  Perhaps I am
wrong, but I thought the simplicity of that use case was one of the main
reasons for the wide, active, and productive participation in GALEON 1.
To my way of thinking, this use case represents the real core of WCS for
our community.  Efforts have  been undertaken by Dominic Lowe and Steven
Keens to make sure this use case is still covered in subsequent versions
of WCS.

-- The CF-netCDF3 encoding format specification has evolved from a brief
document consisting mainly of pointers to information about the netCDF
and CF conventions into an extension standard which is a complete
specification of the WCS interface behaviors in cases where the delivery
payload is CF-netCDF3.  As a consequence, it's taking longer than
anticipated to complete the first draft which is now anticipated to be
available in mid-July.

-- The current version of the CF-netCDF3 is now beyond my level of
expertise, so Stefano Nativi is taking on the role of editor which
reflects the fact that he is in fact doing most of the "heavy lifting"
on this document.  Our thanks to Stefano.

If at all possible, I'll try to participate in at least part of the
WCS.SWG telecon tomorrow.  In any case though, it is important for us to
continue a vigorous dialog between GALEON and the WCS.SWG.