Re: [galeon] WCS and MIME types

nor is it the long term plan for CF, which has in the roadmap a clean
distinction between CF conventions and their implementation as cf-netcdf ....

I didn't realise this.  The CF website still ties the conventions
specifically to NetCDF.  But I agree that disentangling CF from NetCDF
is theoretically a good thing, although I'm not sure exactly how this
would happen since the encoding of CF attributes is often dependent
upon a NetCDF-like syntax.  Still, I'm not an expert here.

So I guess in the long term, CF-NetCDF will be more like EXIF-JPEG
(where metadata convention is separate from format) than GeoTIFF
(where the metadata convention only applies to a single format).  A
very brief Google search suggests to me that there is no specific MIME
type or parameter in common usage for EXIF-*.  It seems that people
just use image/jpeg (etc) and rely on client applications to spot the
EXIF headers.  The same could be applied to NetCDF but this would not
help much with WCS format negotiation, which was the original point of
this discussion (sorry for drifting off topic!)

Jon