Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Steve,

I think you raised extremely important issues for the Community and for GALEON.

IMHO, you listed some of the main GALEON objectives: 1) to "open" MetOcean Community models and resources to other Communities in order to face cross-disciplinary challenges; 2) to fill the existing gaps of the Community IT solutions (e.g. to explicit semantics) to leverage the Web potentialities 3) to bridge with the European partners, who have de -jure directives to follow as far as IT is concerned.

In an over-simplified way, I could say: Multi-disciplinary interoperability using IT

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

--Stefano

Does it fit into the GALEON mission statement to ask how GALEON can help in this effort? The climate community already has highly advanced (though admittedly incomplete) solutions for distributed model intercomparison using netCDF-CF-OPeNDAP. Where we have critical gaps to be filled is 1) making these model outputs available to outside communities (often GIS application users); and 2) bridging with European partners for whom an OGC-acceptable solution is a legally-mandated requirement. Can GALEON help us to succeed in these goals?