Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi Bruce,

on conceptual level, I fully agree that the question of merging both
types is extremely interesting. I find questioning the boundaries
between both very appropriate, in particular when it comes to
generalizations of raster grids. It should be really interesting to come
up with a unified model.

From a practical viewpoint, however, all methodologies and tools
distinguish between vector and raster data. Not only in terms of data
structures, but also in terms of operations (how would all that image
processing fit into a feature world...). And IMHO standards should not
(or perhaps not always) redefine the world, but provide a platform where
tool vendors and users find themselves understood to the largest
possible extent.

Hence, for the moment being it seems like we have to stick with
feature/coverage types.

(Hm, rereading this it might seem a little harsh in phrasing. Sorry if
it appears so, it wasn't meant like that. But too close to midnight to
start over now.)

cheers,
Peter

Wright, Bruce wrote:
[...]
I think this 'features vs. coverages' (or WFS vs. WCS) is an interesting
issue; I've seen a number of different, but not necessarily exclusive,
viewpoints:
1. Coverages and features are different...WFS and WCS evolved as two
distinct services to meet different requirements for accessing data and
metadata.

2. A coverage is a feature...features and coverages are different
'cross-sections' through the information - Simon Cox presents this
nicely by considering the information as tabular, with a row represents
a feature (a series of individual property values) and a column
representing a coverage (different values of the same property) - and
the WFS and WCS should be harmonised.

3. A feature is a coverage...coverages are already effectively being
encoded in GML for some WFS requests that need to return the variation
of a set of parameters over space/time (normally small data volumes);
again, this suggests that the WFS and WCS should be harmonised.

4. Coverage is a property of a feature... WCS is a convenience
interface, which should eventually replaced by an enhanced WFS, which
adds a GetCoverage request (or an OPeNDAP request!)

Personally, I think these are all true to some extent (not sure 3. above
is a good thing though!). However, which viewpoint you take determines
how you develop and implement these web services going forward (e.g. my
explicit 'conclusion' on 4. above!).

Regards, Bruce