Re: [galeon] How to map a parameterized projection to an EPSG code

Hi Dominic, all,

Dominic Lowe wrote:
But that's not to say the CF community shouldn't also invest time in defining resolvable coordinate reference systems specific for our needs.

I think CF already has a pretty good handle on defining the CRS used by a data variable in the data file. Each coordinate variable defines some of the CRS information in its attributes and the grid mapping variable defines the horizontal CRS to some degree. There are certainly places that need some additions and refinement (like vertical datum). But in other ways CF is ahead of OGC, e.g., already handling pressure and sigma vertical coordinates.

Though not explicitly a CRS definition language, either CDL or NcML (and knowledge of CF) could be used to export the CRS information. Do we need to come up with a more explicit way of encoding a CRS definition?

When it comes to OGC interoperability, being able to encode the CRS information we already have into GML seems key. [And of course, extending the CF ability to capture some important CRS details. Oh, and probably extending beyond grid mapping names (projection method identifiers) our set of CRS related controlled vocabularies. But other than that ... ;-)]

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690