Re: [galeon] The GALEON wiki and Use Cases

Hi Roy,
You make very good points.  In my effort to keep the use cases brief, I did
not make it clear that the intention was for each one to represent a
particular category or type of data.

So to take your cases, if I understand the animal track environment example,
I am guessing you are talking about an animal (perhaps a dolphin) that is
instrumented to monitor some properties of its environment as it travels, .
In my list,  that would be an ocean equivalent of the trajectory case
that's represented by the aircraft-borne observations.   My thought is that,
if we agree on a set of conventions for representing such trajectories, we
can use it for observations along dolphin tracks, aircraft tracks, ship
tracks, etc.  One additional note is that, in all my cases, I emphasize that
we should be prepared to address collections of such observations as well as
individual ones.  So I will find a way to make it clear that my proposed use
cases are intended to be representative and and could be used for other
cases that involve similar data types.

Regarding the other case you mention of comparing present conditions with
long term trends in a particular area,  my idea is that those are just
different space-time bounding boxes for the data collections in the region
you are interested in.  If you are talking about using observations from
moored buoys in this case, it fits nicely with my proposed case for
obtaining the station obs in the region around Paris.   If you include CTD
ocean soundings, it's equivalent to the Paris use case that includes
atmospheric balloon soundings.

You say you can deal with these cases in the netCDF/OPeNDAP world.  My
question is, if I define a region of interest in the ocean and a set of time
bounds (short or long term) and then ask for all the observations from
instrumented dolphins, what are the CF conventions that describe the netCDF
that I get back?  More specifically, how do I figure out where and when all
those observations were taken?

I would ask the same question regarding the station data in the upwelling
region case you mention.  What are the CF conventions that provide the
information needed to figure out where and when the station (or buoy) data
points were observed?

Those are exactly the kinds of conventions John Caron is working on and
where  I think we need some consensus.  If we come to agreement on those CF
conventions, then we can propose the resulting CF-netCDF as a standard
coverage encoding as a means of connecting our work with the formal
standards community..  But, if you think we already have an explicit way to
deal with these cases in the netCDF/OPeNDAP world, please let me know.
Maybe there's a way to short cut  the multi-step process I had envisioned.

On the other hand, my next task is  to revise my use cases to indicate that,
while they are written as specific cases, they are intended to be
representative of a family of cases for each of the data types.   Hopefully
I can do that without getting too wordy.

-- Ben

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Roy Mendelssohn