Re: [galeon] The GALEON wiki and Use Cases

Hi Ben:

Assume the simpler case for the second scenario. I have gridded data at depth, and I want all the data in the top 200 meters for a given bounding box and parameter. The animal case is not quite the equivalent of the sensor - for the sensor it is a single sensor whose track I am storing. For the animal, I have a vector of is locations and depth, and say I have a 4-D dataset on a grid, I now want to tunnel through that dataset to find out the environment based on another set of data, not the data that a sensor on the animal detected. The animal sensor only gives position/depth.

Neither of these are synoptic nor a single time series from one sensor - and I think it is very important to include these in the use cases because our experience to date is these types of data extracts have not really been in the OGC radar and for which extracts are either impossible or else extremely complex.

The one exception to this is CSML, which I like for the very reasons that the features types align well with both how users of the data think of the data and how they use the data. And the CDM is good for the very same reasons, and to beat a dead horse, the two are very close. This is the very reason why I have argued to make the crosswalk between CDM and CSML be the main activity, and then use whatever services CSML ends up using, rather than to constantly try and convince a very large body that all the scientists that use the data perhaps have reasons for thinking about the data they way they do, rather than the way OGC says we must (and remember I am actually a research scientist, and I still access and use large quantity of data in analyses - these are not theoretical discussions to me, but ones that affect my day to day ability to do my work). I believe Andrew Woolf made a similar comment awhile back (it was actually worded much more strongly but I will leave it to Andrew to decide if he wants to repeat it).

Thanks,

-Roy