RE: Just a warning/reminder...

I don't know about intervening releases..but 6.4.5 has been flawlessly running
on our Solaris x86 boxes for one year now 24/7 and we have never seen any
issues at all...and these boxes ingest and decode, serve as workstations AND
web servers.  I am usually a fairly early adapter with GEMPAK and McIDAS, but
with LDM if it is ingesting data fine and running fine I just tend to leave it
alone.  I am not saying that folks shouldn't upgrade if they want to but LDM
stability also depends on OS stability, load, many other factors.  The only LDM
stability issues I had were when we had to go to Linux for two years several
years ago at my previous job due to Sun's idiotic decision to stop Solaris
x86..and that was definitely an OS related issue that was causing LDM problems
not the other way around.  I am certainly not going to try to get people to
switch to Solaris (I imagine more recent versions of Linux are more stable than
the version we were on except under heavy load) but the point is that OS can
have as much to do with it as anything.

If I wee giving advice to novice LDM users or those that wear about 10
different hats (like me)..I'd say if it is working just fine then just leave it
alone..unless Unidata comes out and flat out says that it is a MUST upgrade
from the pre 6.5 distros.

Just my two cents.

Robert Mullenax
CSBF Meteorology