Re: [netcdf-porting] avoiding MSC_EXTRA definition

NOTE: The netcdf-porting mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

dennis neal <neon10@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello;

I have been able to write the LinkDef.h header file needed to generate a
dictionary using rootcint  (from CERN) in order to create a .so to include in
ROOT. When I attempt to run the Ed H. test program I get an error

extern MSC_EXTRA int err.

Reading the netcdf.h header file, it seems that, if one wants a DLL,
MSC_EXTERN and then EXTERNL are defined. I do NOT want MSC_EXTERN
defined.

How do I stop that from happening? I tried a #ifndef __GNUC__ macro
but I need V2 (I eventually want to use AIA ANDI, built on netcdf
V2) and it appears that some other things depending on EXTERNL being
defined are needed by all operating systems (warning above the
CRAYMPP /* */).

Usually this is defined in the config.h file, which is automatically
built by the configure script.

Perhaps this is why Cygwin can not built the c++ interface? (Isnt
the C++ interface dependent on V2 code?)

Hmm. Cygwin can build the C++ API.

Also the C++ API can be built without the v2 api. With the latest
snapshot, try:
./configure --disable-v2 && make check

Where is creating a DLL defined? I reran configure with shared
libraries as NO but still this code keeps being read. Why, using
gcc, is an MSC variable created? Doesnt MSC mean Microsoft C?

DLL stuff is in the Makefile.am files.

Any help I can get with this will be greatly appreciated and of
course acknowledged in the final code.

Did you run the configure script?

Ed

--