Re: NetCDF Digest - Vol 1 : Issue 197

> Subject: Tool for truncating NetCDF files?
> From:    Richard Signell <rsignell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To:      netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date:    Fri, 11 Nov 1994 08:53:23 EST
>
> I was storing output from a numerical model at successive time steps
> along the unlimited time dimension in my NetCDF file, and by mistake,
> I let the model run too long and the NetCDF file got too large to
> fit on a CD-ROM.
>
> Does anyone have a tool that would effectively allow me to "clip" the
> end off my netCDF file?  In other words, create a
> file with all the same variables and attributes, but just fewer
> steps along the "unlimited" dimension?
>
> I know how I would write it myself, but it seems like this might be
> a problem someone has already solved....
>
> Thanks,
> - --
> Rich Signell               |  rsignell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> U.S. Geological Survey     |  (508) 457-2229  |  FAX (508) 457-2310
> 384 Woods Hole Road        |  http://crusty.er.usgs.gov/rsignell.html
> Woods Hole, MA  02543-1598 |
Hello Rich, sorry for the delay in responding, I've been out of the office.
Did you get any replies to your posting to the netCDF group?

DDI can do what you describe.  It can read the variables from your file
and create a new file, using only a certain part of the unlimited
dimension.  Unfortunately, the new file will not name an unlimited dimension,
this is on the TODO list.  If you like I can walk you through the steps.

--Chris
Chris L. Anderson                                       Phone (510)423-1915
Graphics Project Leader                                 FAX   (510)423-8744
The National Energy Research                   E-mail: andersoncl@xxxxxxxxx
  Supercomputer Center (NERSC)                 S-mail: PO Box 5509 L-560
    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory             Livermore, CA 94551