[netcdfgroup] wanted: CSV to netcdf conversion utility

Is there a program available to convert CSV files to netcdf format?

We are finding netcdf a useful format for accessing data and it would be good
to be able to convert data that arrives in CSV (Comma Separated Variable)
format to basic netcdf files.

I'm thinking a basic utility that reads a CSV file, uses the first row as
variable names, uses the second row to determine data types, and puts the
data from the file into a CSV file. It occurs to me that such a utility
shouldn't be too hard to write, so someone has probably done it.

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith
Programmer/Data Analyst

    Machines running Windows are by far the most popular,
    with about 90% machines in use worldwide. Linux users, on
    the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more
    numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not
    denote a higher life form.