Re: [netcdfgroup] better to distribute data in netCDF-4/classic or netcdf-3?

  • To: "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)" <christopher.s.lynnes@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] better to distribute data in netCDF-4/classic or netcdf-3?
  • From: "David W. Pierce" <dpierce@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:16:33 -0700
ncview also has a "spreadsheet" type of view, although it's more limited
than HDFView's version. Just click the "Edit" button. You can also edit the
data if you want and write out the result to a new netcdf file. You can
click the main 2-D display with the middle mouse button and it will move
the spreadsheet display to the clicked pixel.

Also, just to clear any possible confusion, you can read and write netcdf
version 4 files with R by using the ncdf4 package -- there are multiple R
packages that allow access to netcdf files, some support version 4, and
some don't. But personally I would archive everything as netcdf-3 unless
there was some feature that required netcdf-4.

Regards,

--Dave