Re: [netcdfgroup] [Netcdf] Compressed files write

Hi Ted,

> Correct, but writing is with zlib only, not szip. Szip is read-only
> for some reason (and hdf5 has to be compiled with szip support).  The
> ability to write with szip compression was added briefly, but was
> quickly removed -- for some reason that didn't make sense to me.

The Szip software is encumbered with licensing restrictions and software
patents that prevent its use in commercial applications without a
separate commercial license.  This means some netCDF users could not
legally use Szip encoding.  We want netCDF to be open source software
for both non-commercial and commercial use, so we don't include Szip
encoding capabilities.

More information about Szip licensing, copyright, and patents is here:

  http://www.hdfgroup.org/doc_resource/SZIP/Commercial_szip.html

--Russ