Re: [netcdfgroup] Advice on getting netCDF fortran API for Windows 64 bits using cmake+VS2012+ifort13

Hello Jean-Michel,

On 9/11/13 1:23 AM, Jean-Michel.Perraud@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to get the netCDF fortran API for Windows 64 bits, using, well,
whatever can work.

After a bit of trial and error (I 'only' used the Java API in the past), I got
netcdf-c-4.3.1-rc2 to compile using cmake+visual studio 2012, and am still
trying to get netcdf-fortran-4.4b5 to compile, using the latest or near latest
intel fortran compiler.

Both builds starting from tarballs available on the github repo.

First, kudos to netCDF devs for moving to cmake. From what I see so far it
looks like a smart move to alleviate build pain points.
Thank you; while we plan on maintaining the autotools-based build system as well, CMake has certainly made it easier to build netCDF-C on Windows and other less-usual platforms.

I noticed that a few things were still off with netcdf-fortran-4.4b5: projects
not having ending up with include directories, disabling V2 backward support
and the like.

I managed to compile the "ncfortran" project after a few workarounds. "netcdff"
however looks completely off: a VC++ project referencing plenty of .f90 files and one .c file.
CMake integration with netCDF-Fortran is still an ongoing effort; on linux/OSX, it can be made to work, although there is much still to be done. Once this effort is complete, the next step will be to leverage CMake for Windows-based builds.
I'd welcome advice on where to go from here: straight to the latest GIT master
checkout, or if someone knows how to fix the CMAKE process (I am unfamiliar
with it).
At this point I cannot say with certainty that you *can* build netCDF-Fortran on Windows without a great deal of effort (as I am bound to find out in the near future). Until then, I'm afraid I can't offer much help other than to assure you that you have not missed an easy step.

Happy to provide further notes and feedback.
If you do happen to make progress with this, please feel free to submit a pull request on GitHub, and we will be happy to integrate it into the netCDF-Fortran project (with due credit given, of course)!

Have a pleasant day all,

-Ward

Regards,
J-M