Re: [netcdfgroup] compression without effect

You do not specify whether you have compiled with hdf5 and zlib?
If you haven't specified this at compile time, you don't have compression
enabled and you need to install hdf5 and zlib (at least).

You can test your file by this:
ncdump -k <file>
'1' or 'classic' => netcdf classic format
  '2', '64-bit-offset', or '64-bit offset' => netCDF 64-bit format
  '3', 'hdf5', 'netCDF-4', or 'enhanced' => netCDF-4 format (enhanced data
model)
'4', 'hdf5-nc3', 'netCDF-4 classic model', or 'enhanced-nc3' => netCDF-4
classic
model format

What you want is 3 or 4 (as I remember, a netcdf3 installation from a
netcdf4 source would only allow k=1 or k=2).

Kind regards Nick