Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF for parallel usage

WRT performance, there is a point at which you max out your file system.
You might have 10K processors, but you don't have 10K disk drives. So once
you reach the limits of your disk array and internal bandwidth, more
parallelization will not help your overall I/O performance.

Although there are limits to what may be achieved, it is still worth
achieving them, as this may provide an order of magnitude or more overall
performance improvement. But once you saturate your disk array, you will
not see further performance improvements when you add more processors.

Another reason to use the parallel I/O interfaces (either netCDF-4 with
parallel, or pnetcdf) is simplification of code. It is a lot easier to
write the parallel code using netCDF-4 or pnetcdf than to write the code
which collects data from all the processes and writes it to a file in a
serial way. By using the parallel interfaces, you get very simple, natural
code, where each process directly writes data without passing it to another
process.

With the parallel interfaces, you have to pay attention to collective vs.
independent in order to get good performance. See the docs for more.

Good luck!
Ed