Re: [netcdfgroup] Error with large filesizes

On 10/27/2014 11:30 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
On Oct 27, 2014, at 8:46 PM,

    However, you don't want chunks to be very small or very large just
    for the sake of efficiency.  The ideal size and shape for a chunk
    is dictated by what access patterns you anticipate to be common,
    to make each access one chunk.

Indeed, but I suspect that you'd hardly notice the difference between
large and really large chunk sizes. For instance a chunk larger that
your disk cache would probably buy you nothing. What's a typical disk
cache these days? I have no idea.

But I'll guess you won't see a noticeable drop in performance for a
multi-gigabyte read if you use a 10MB or so chunk size.

close. Consider Mira, our large Blue Gene with GPFS. 16 MiB is a good size for "go as fast as you can" -- on that file system the block size is 8 MiB.

Some (small) multiple of the underlying file system block size is probably as far as you need to go. Certainly less than 100 MiB in 2014 (though that number is likely to creep upwards over time)

==rob

If you do any testing, please post your results here.

-Chris

    --Russ

    On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Samrat Rao <samrat.rao@xxxxxxxxx